The garden surrounding the Dyckman Farmhouse is a wonderful retreat from the bustle of Broadway. Although we no longer have the extensive acreage of the original farm, there is a garden of just under 1/2 acre. The garden includes a small reproduction smokehouse built as part of the 1916 restoration and a Hessian Hut.
In the early 1900’s, Reginald Pelham Bolton, a historian and amateur archaeologist, uncovered the remains of more than sixty huts used as shelter by British and Hessian soldiers during the Revolutionary War. Bolton documented his discovery and then in 1916 he excavated a chimney, walls and floor and reconstructed them as a full hut within the park of the Dyckman Farmhouse. The hut has become affectionately known as the Hessian Hut.